Tuesday, December 14, 2004

"... and I told him I just cut the nerve ... just drive me to the hospital ... I'll get a couple of stitches..."

I have always been sort of anti-marriage and children ... But I think working for the County is making it worse. All day long I listen to the women here bitch about their husbands. I feel sorry the poor men. "Well, you KNOW how Jake can be..." a chorus of "Uh-huh" follows and the first woman will launch into a story about some misbehavior on the part of Jake with regular interjections of "I can't believe that!", "How could he even THINK of...", and "If he were MY husband I would have..." If enough husbands have misbehaved (as often happens around the opening of hunting season) the whole building thrums with female indignation and the men, supervisor, department head, and even Board Supervisors run for cover and in my office the surveyors work in silence and will bring treats to placate the women. The overall impression I have been given of marriage, after working here, is one of putting up with constant irritation and asinine behavior.
It is funny, most of these women are tough ... Telling stories of out drinking sailors or the summer they re-roofed their house by themselves and with a broken ankle ("Had to get done before the Fall rain!") And one of the most common husband complaints is that their man is being a nursemaid, or a baby. ... I think those are the stories that put me off the most. A jackass I can handle ... But being babied or caring for some whining adult ... I think it would drive me mad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home