Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Magic of all kinds

So, my boy is off helping a friend. Though I worry about him (and Bob and Silliman too!) I can’t express how happy his choice made me. In true girl form I was not going to tell him any of this before he left … instead I watched his choices carefully and judged his character accordingly. Had he not gathered his things and driven through the night to rescue his friend, I would have TRIED to get over it, I would have reminded myself of his other good qualities, but in the back of my mind I would have wondered about the staying power of a relationship in which the two people have such different priorities. (I am recalling now being dragged off to my Graduate Advisors office after taking off for Gunar’s wedding and being told that if that is where my priorities lay perhaps CalArts was not the place for me. I agreed, and to the shock of my Graduate Advisor offered no remorse and certainly no promise not to pull such a “stunt” again. Instead, I elected not to return to Grad School.) My first priority in my life is my friends. If they are in need I will split my last $10 with them (lying of course … I didn’t have $10 … I had $5) … But as I said … in true girl form I was not going to tell Lee that his choice in this situation could make or break our relationship. My reward for this was discovering once again what a wonderful man Lee is.

Speaking of friends … I got a call last night from the former Ms. Perkins (Now Jennifer Giacinti) after catching up on all the Hillsdale gossip and discussing our men she informed me there might be a job for me in Mexico, Missouri. So once again I may have tripped and fallen into something good. This seems to be a regular habit of mine. I stumble and fall … only to land on soft grass and have a stunt coordinator say he likes my style.

And before I forget … the drive time to Mexico, MO from Hillsdale is only and hour more than the drive to Baraboo, and 6 hours from Hawesville … (And NO BOB neither trip is 12 hours!)

Edit: Further joy ... the Spring Break (or Spring Furlough as they call it) at the MMA is the same as Hillsdale's. I have not applied yet ... but things are looking up and hope is always welcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

No...not 12 hours:

LFTF #1:

9 hours both ways (plus 40 minutes to hillsdale)=just under 10 hours.

LFTF #2:

8 hours out (in the middle of the night with no traffic, perfect weather, and driving fast)

Between 10 and 11 hours coming back (which plus 40 minutes difference between my house and Hillsdale is still not, as you point out, 12 hours)

So call the drive from your house to Hillsdale 9-10 hours. Less with absolutely minimal stops, more with weekend traffic around chicago.

9:47 AM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

First ... I was calculation driving time from Hillsdale ... so any side trips are to be excluded.
Second ... I will admit that your driving time was hurt by the time of year you were traveling ... since on Sunshine filled weekends in the summer all those FLAT LANDERS drive north to curse us with their presence, so traffic is worse in the summer. September through June it isn't as bad ... the FISH TABs* stay where they belong.


*Fucking Illinois Shit Head Towing A Boat ... their FUCKING boats do slow down traffic and clog our lovely waterways.

9:57 AM  
Blogger JenPerkins said...

Yeah, Amber, Yeah!

Email your resume, etc. to rray@mma.mexico.mo.us and address any letter to Richard Ray, Academic Dean. I told him about you and he said, "never can have too many Wisconsin girls. Tell her to bring some beer."

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home