Sunday, January 16, 2005

Thoughts of youth.

I sort of resent Lee and I being swept up into the group of engaged people. I love the fact that our friends are so supportive and have so much faith that our relationship will stand the test of time … but I agree with my mother (mark THAT down in your calendars kids!) that it puts quite a bit of unneeded pressure on a fairly new relationship. I don’t want Lee and myself to be in our relationship for anyone other than ourselves. With so many people mentally and emotionally invested in our relationship instead of "staying together for the kids" we could end up "staying together for our friends" ... which is not what I want my life to be.

Next:
I want my own advice column. I have several reasons for this:
1. I am unemployed and an advice column would hopefully provide a good use of my time and an income.
2.People ask for my advice all the time. I give it gladly and it usually works out well.
3. People don't ask me specifically for my advice and I give it gladly and it usually works out well.
4. There is a SERIOUS lack of younger advice columnists (part of the reason why I LOVE “Tell Me About It” by Carolyn Hax, who has a younger voice) most advice seems to be handed out by older women who, when asked about young love or “just out of college” roommate situations, have to reach back to many a year past to remember what those things were like and their world view does not necessarily translate to younger people.

So yes, now I just need to figure out how to convince a news paper that they need their own advice columnist and that columnist should be me.
Maybe I'll pitch it to Coreweekly ... they want to be hip and young ... or maybe I'll pitch it to the 'Boo News.
Any ideas on how to do that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Zambian said...

Amber you should write sex articles for Cosmo!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

I don't think any of us actually are advocating that you get married, much the contrary. You did have the misfortune of your relationship coniciding with the m-word epidemic, and it makes a simple joke. None of us want the burden of your relationship, much less M-word on our heads, it is entirely up to you, with only mild suggestions from your friends.

If you get to write an advice column, I want to write a column about fixing stuff. People could write in with wet basements, balky furnaces, car problems, you name it, and I'd tell them how to fix it. How about "Fixing widgets and other shit with Bob."

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home