Monday, February 21, 2005

A new and different experience

Because I feel so secure in my love life … a new little stumbling block has popped up in my financial life. I am currently unemployed. Everyone who reads this knows that. My issue is that while unattached or at the beginning of my relationship I viewed my job search globally. I was looking for interesting work anywhere in the world I could find it. Now that I find myself in a serious relationship my job search has narrowed greatly. I don’t want to be too far from my love, and I want a job that I can give up easily, because he and I are already functioning under the premise that I will be moving to his home state with him in the not too distant future. Now seems like a good time to say that I am NOT writing this with resentment toward my love, I am just wondering how I can jump start my own interest in job hunting despite the fact I can see the end of this job down the road. I WANT a job that will interest me and look good on my resume, but I also want one that I can leave easily when the time comes. Any ideas? I am in employment/life Limbo.

25 days

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ebay?

6:04 PM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

O.K. What about Ebay? Sell all of my belongings until the fine day I move?

6:22 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Everyone insert a whip noise...

8:56 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Amber,
Just look for a job. Get a kickass job and don't worry about having to leave it. You do not need to inform your potential employers that you won't be around for long (because honestly, you don't know. Anything could happen. He could end up moving closer to you, by a fluke... I know you have plans, but the future is still somewhat of an unknown).
I would advise you to conduct your job search as you have been. Maybe narrow it to Wisconsin, but don't restrict the TYPE of job you will accept based on the fact that you do not intend to keep such job for very long.
That said, some jobs that are very flexible include substitute teaching, temping (most agencies can find you good work in a matter of days), you might be able to find work at a summer camp. Etc.
Sorry if I'm being no help. I'm too hungry to think.

10:07 AM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

Bob, Who is whipped? Me or him?

Di, It seems I was being unclear ... the stagnation of my job hunt has little to do with HIM. It is more like ... I have become lazy when it comes to finding a job around here. I agree. I do not know the future, anything is possible. HE could move here (highly unlikely though), we could break up long before such a thing becomes an issue, space aliens could land on Earth and enslave me (in my rosy, love skewed opinion the most likely scenario) ... I am not bothered because my job search is limited to this region ... I am bothered because I can't seem to shake the perspective that any job I take is just a space/time filler which is making me less motivated to find a kick ass job. The problem is not HIM or my relationship; it is my own head space. The combination of being broke, a bad economy, and the persistent an nagging thought that I would not be in such a job for more than a couple of years have made me not care about the type of work I get. Screw employers. I would NEVER tell them of such possible future plans ... that isn't the issue.

While your advice is good, it is not what I was looking for ... I am looking for a way to shift my mental perspective on the job front, a way to forget (when it comes to my search for employment) that I am in a relationship with an increasingly solid projected future.

Now you, eat a sandwich and get some rest.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Amber,
My new advice is to shift your mental perspective on the job issue and forget that you're in a relationship with an increasingly solid projected future.

;)

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home