Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Youthful Thought

What has the Internet and 'Blogging done to the literary allusion? Will computers slowly render the novel as we know it incomprehensible? While allusion can and does exist online more commonly a blogger will simply link to what he or she is alluding to so any reader unfamiliar with the work being alluded to can be quickly brought up to speed and those in the know can ignore the highlighted text.

Much of the "work" of reading is being eliminated because there no longer need be a baseline level of literary familiarity. I can't figure out, if the Internet is indeed fundamentally changing the way we read for pleasure, if it is a good or bad thing. Author's intent becomes clearer, and there is no work too esoteric to be referenced, to me these both seem like good things. Conversely, author's intent becomes clearer which reduces the level of reader interaction via interpretation and without a need for literary common ground will the individual become even more intellectually isolated?

I don't know. I don't even know if I am making any sense. All I know is that the Internet allowing us to make allusion into instant, concrete, direct reference seems very important in my little brain.

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Silliman said...

I don't know though, Amber, what you're saying the hyperlink does is what happens with a footnote. So if Blogs destroy literary allusion, then so does Norton's anthologies.

3:22 PM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

I suppose you are right.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home