Friday, September 30, 2005

SAVED! Crash

Last night I watched Crash and all I could think was "There is no way people, I mean REAL people can be this racist. Which put me in mind of watching Saved! with two High School friends and Jen Perkins. After the movie my High School Friends said "that movie was kind of stupid. No one is like that in real life. I mean if people were really like that maybe they would have a point ... But NO ONE is that Jesus obsessed." To which Jen and I replied "No, there are people like that, you are just lucky enough to have never met any of them."
Reflecting on the parallel between their experience watching Saved!, and my experience watching Crash made me feel both very lucky and very sad. I think deep down I still believe NO ONE is REALLY racist. The concept is too foreign to me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Crash" is a great movie! Unfortunately, I do know a person that racist: my mom. She has made comments calling darker skinned people the "wrong color" and "undesireables." She believes a community loses its "safety" value if there are black people living there.

I'm looking for a new apt. right now and she keeps asking me, "Is it in a good community?" This is her way of asking, "Do black people live there?"

12:04 PM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

I suppose my grandparents are rather like that ... I just stopped listening so long ago that I don't even think of them.

12:14 PM  
Blogger the Yearning Heart said...

My grandfather did not stop worrying once I moved from the Kansas side of KC to the Missouri side. He would say things like, "In Overland Park, everyone keeps their lawns so neat. In this meighborhood, all the shrubs and lawns are so shabby."
I know, "Grandpa, it's because on the Missouri side all those people are either over in Overland Park working on the rich people's yards, or they're working second jobs on the weekends."
He once saw a fat little kid, who had a white mom and a black dad. in some doctor's waiting room and whispered to me, "That poor kid is sure going to have to hear a lot of kids making fun of him."
"Why?" I asked, "because he's fat?"
"No," said Grandpa, "because his dad's black."
"I don't know, Grandpa," I said, "I think there are more and more kids with mixed-race parents; also I think that if you're going to be a kid, you're going to hear a lot of teasing. I got teased a lot when I was a kid, because my grandparents are bigots. If kids want to tease you, they will."

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home