Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I'm a super geek

Ok because I am UBER-NERD I have a little game I like to play ... and I think it is time to write it down and I would enjoy your input. I like to make note of things for which a brand name is used to describe a type of product. I am going to start the list to give you all examples and I would love it if you would add your own examples in the comments as they occure to you ... Esp. those of you in strange lands (Will, Zambian & all our friends in the South) where you probably have different products that this works for

Scotch Tape - Translucent Tape
Band-Aid - Adhesive Bandages
Kleenex - Facial Tissue
Vasoline - Petrolium Jelly
Windex - Glass Cleaner
Chapstick - Lip Balm
Coke (In the South) - Soda/Pop
Kool-Aid - Flavored Drink
Sharpie - Permanent Pen

Well, you get the idea ... and the more you think about it the more of them you see ... have fun!

9 Comments:

Blogger Finite said...

What about Duct/Duck Tape?

2:34 PM  
Blogger Valerie Silliman said...

Steinway=grand piano

Don't know if that qualifies or not, since it doesn't apply to all pianos, but there are beautiful instruments that are called by the brand name rather than their own.

2:44 PM  
Blogger AC-91 said...

Ballpoint - Pen

I'm pretty geeky, and ya'll took all my ideas lol

3:07 PM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

YAY!!!! I am so happy you all enjoy this ... it tends to be one of my odd road trip games (allong with identify that road kill) and I have always intended to keep a record of the items.

and Krupa ... verbs are totally acceptable.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Amber this is hilarious! I think my favorite so far is Krupa's (who seemed to appear suddenly out of nowhere!!) "weed whack"

I love it. And I can't think of any because I am cursed with thinking inside the box and y'all stole my ideas anyway.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

7:03 PM  
Blogger TheAmber said...

From my mom,

Post-it notes - adhesive backed note paper

11:06 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Did someone already say,

xerox (verb) - to make a copy

4:41 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Actually, isn't Velcro still the only actual loop-and-hook securing mechanism around? I think their patent is still good. If I'm correct, it's not that it's become a generic, it's just utterly ubiquitous.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Finite said...

Actually, I believe Will is correct about velcro.

Also (although a little late), would Hi-Liter count? I'm going to pull weight here and say it does.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home