Saturday, March 12, 2005

Emily Post


Something that just makes me SPITTING mad, all those people who think etiquette is a weapon … and moreover these people will often show off half learned rules to show how "well bred" they are. Announcing that one is NOT to wear white after Labor Day … is like saying "Money is the root of all evil" … close … but no cigar. "The love of money is the root of all evil" and one does not wear summer white after Labor Day. Most etiquette rules are just common sense … summer whites are too light for most fall/winter weather … and are often too casual. Sorry, all of this was brought on by a foolish little TWIT who wrote in to Dear Abby … and even dear old Dear Abby missed the mark in her answer …

DEAR ABBY: I just became engaged to my boyfriend of two years. We plan to be married in October. My boyfriend and I have agreed to have an old-fashioned church wedding and, of course, a white wedding dress. But our wedding will be in October and Labor Day is in September, and I never wear white after Labor Day.
My boyfriend insists I should wear white. He says there is an exception to every rule, but I disagree, and we don't want to change our wedding date. Can you tell me what to do? -- BRIDE WITH NO DRESS IN ILLINOIS
DEAR BRIDE: Please do not be concerned about breaking a fashion rule. A white wedding dress signifies that it is the bride's first marriage. Because you have not been married before, you may wear a white bridal gown regardless of what time of year your wedding is held. The sales people at your local bridal shop will be happy to guide you in making your selection.

Nope, white does not signify a bride’s virginity, nor does it signify a first marriage. White signifies a bride’s joy on her wedding day. A white FUNERAL dress signifies the virginity of the deceased … but I hardly consider a funeral and a wedding to be similar in their clothing requirements.
If you want to take issue with me … read your Emily Post and get back to me … then we will talk.

6 days!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

Amber THIS is one of the reasons why I love you! You are passionate about tidbits of arcane but VERY useful knowledge.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home