Thursday, November 03, 2005

Banning Feminist Books

Neatly tying together the topics of two recent Internet discussions I participated in (Banned Books at The Ockhamist and Feminism on Ryan Thompson's Blog) comes this little item of joy from the AFP. It seems that Spain is putting the kibosh on the distribution of "Girl's Guides" aimed at 11-18 year olds as they are concerned that the guide "incites the practice of homosexuality among girls not sufficiently mature to have any kind of sexual relations."

Kismet! In a relatively short time I have discussed banning books and the Feminist movement and now here is an article on Spain banning a book from their schools because it promotes extremist feminist ideology.
I am most curious about any thoughts anyone might have on this.

THINGS THAT ARE SWEET
So, I am playing around with having "Things that are Sweet" become a permanent fixture. If I run out of things that are sweet I'll just stop doing it.
At any rate, today's thing that is sweet is: Scripted Television Reality Tie-ins.

ABC's Lost is planning on releasing a book written by a dead passenger of the crashed plane at the same time the manuscript is uncovered on the show. I am not an obsessive Lost fan, but many of the people out there are and will likely buy the book to search for clues to the show (which I am sure they will find since the fictional fiction's plot seems to parallel one of the subplots on the show) Now THAT is what I call marketing.
Along similar lines The West Wing is trying to bolster flagging ratings with *shock* interesting television. This Sunday the Democratic Nominee, Santos (Played by Jimmy Smits) and the Republican Nominee, Vinick (Played by Alan Alda) will participate in a live, loosely scripted debate. I think this is just setting the stage for a national vote for the next president of the NBC show. The only thing that could make this not sweet is if more people vote in the fictional election I think is coming than voted in the last Presidential election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home